Monday, April 29, 2013

Super Simple Sweet and Sour Soup


Go ahead, try and say that one ten times fast! It will be a lot harder to say than it is to make, I promise! I love getting Hot and Sour soup when I order Chinese food, although I always load it with Duck Sauce to give it some sweetness. I wanted to see how I could make it at home and when I started researching recipes, my mind started to get a little boggled. Dried mushrooms?? Oh yeah, because I have those just laying around! 
Well, you know me! I figured out how to make the yummy soup with the stuff you already have in house! Check it out.

Ingredients
4 c Chicken, Beef or Vegetable Broth
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c rice vinegar
1 tbsp crushed red chili paste (Sambal)
assorted mushrooms, sliced thin
sliced tofu
brown sugar, to taste
black pepper
1 egg, beaten


Preparation
Bring all liquid ingredients and chili paste to a simmer. Add in mushrooms and tofu, cook until mushrooms have softened.

If you find that the soup is too sour, add in some brown sugar. I love the sweet and tangy taste, so I add about 1 tbsp. 

Season with a bit of black pepper. You don't need to add salt because you'll have that flavor from the soy sauce. 

Beat one egg and drizzle over the soup while its at a simmer. The egg will cook instantly. 

Garnish with sliced green onion and serve. 

Tip: Want to thicken it up? Make a slurry with cornstarch by combining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and two table spoons of broth. Mix it up and add it into the soup.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!