It’s that time of year again… the drug stores are filled with heart-shaped boxes of chocolates and florists are filling their shops with long-stemmed anything! That’s right, it’s Valentine’s Day. Flowers and candy are all well and good but if you’re like me, the real way to your heart (and your bedroom) is through your tummy!
With just a week to get those reservations and bakery orders in, here’s a round-up of my favorite hot-spots that will tug at your heartstrings and your taste buds.
- Susan Feniger's STREET is rocking out with a four course 80's Mixed Tape Menu. Guests will choose from righteous dishes, including Cyndi Lobster, lobster potstickers with szechuan sauce and chinese mustard; U2na Tartar, sliced ono sashimi, asian pear, radish sprout, umeboshi plum sauce; and Soy George, English style pot pie with roasted vegetables and seared tofu. Vegan options are included. The cost is $65 per person. Call 323.203.0500 for reservations.
- Treat yourself to a little luxury on the day of love by stopping by On Rodeo Lounge & Bistro at the Luxe Hotel in Beverly Hills. Chef de Cuisine Jonathan Martorella has created a five course tasting menu filled with culinary delights. Start with a sip of Luxe Champagne and oysters on the half shell to set the mood! $65 Per Person. For reservations call 310.691.7619 , email email@example.com or go to www.OpenTable.com
- Make Valentine’s Day extra special at LA favorites Dominick’s, Little Dom’s and Tom Bergin’s Tavern. Soak up the warm, romantic atmosphere and enjoy your favorite dishes from Chef Brandon Boudet without the hassle of a prix fixe. Regular menus are available, and normal reservation policies are in effect for the perfect laid-back evening with your loved one.
- Returning for Valentine’s Day, Sweet Rose Creamery’s popular Bonbons are available for preorder now through February 12. The bite size chocolate-dipped desserts come in flavors like spicy chocolate, guava, and white chocolate gelato. Assorted packs of three are $6 and packs of six are $12. Guests may also opt to select the holiday special Dessert for Two, a Chocolate Sponge Cake with Raspberry Semifreddo, also available for preorder now through February 12.
- Enjoy the romance of a spectacular sunset in the marina at Café del Rey. Chef Daniel Roberts is whipping up a three course menu filled with fresh seafood, including my favorite, the Jumbo Sea Scallops as well as decadent dishes for the land-lovers such as the Duck Confit. Dinner includes a glass of sparkling Rose. $75/person for reservations call 310.823.6395 or visit www.OpenTable.com
- San Valentino brings courtly love to Osteria Drago with a five course prix fixe menu. Love is in the air with Aragosta in Insalata, Maine lobster, young fennel, bloody orange and citrus vinaigrette; Cuoricini di Pasta, heart shaped ravioli filled with eggplant and buffalo ricotta, truffle butter glaze; Risotto al Prosecco, Prosecco-infused risotto, smoked salmon, and rose petals; Filetto di Bue, prime beef tenderloin, Barolo chanterelle mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and pancetta; Dolce, Valrhona chocolate mousse, raspberry, and passion fruit sorbet. The cost is $65 per person, not including tax and gratuity. Dishes are also available a la carte. Call 310.657.1182 for reservations.
- If you’re looking for a bit of that Hollywood glamour to make your Valentine’s Day special, visit Public Kitchen & Bar in The Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard. Chef de Cusine Ben Baily is presenting a four-course menu including Dungeness Crab, Filet Mignon and a White Chocolate Heart for dessert. $65/person. A select al la carte menu will also be served, see my review of Public to get a taste for the restaurant and other creations from Executive Chef Tim Goodell.
- Magnolia Bakery is making Valentine’s Day a little sweeter with their selection of festive treats, including their Sweet Sayings Cupcakes, a sinfully rich devil’s food cupcake topped with chocolate ganache and a sweet saying inscribed on top; Valentine’s Day Cupcakes, vanilla, chocolate and red velvet cupcakes topped with chocolate or vanilla buttercream and Valentine’s Day decorations; Valentine’s Day Cookies; and more!
- Join BLD for an intimate three-course dinner on Valentine's Day where guests can enjoy a selection of dishes from Beef Tataki with frisee, fried garlic, pickled jalapeno; Fresh Oysters on the Half Shell with crispy shallots; Seared Lamb Chops with sweet potato puree, chard, tomato caper tapenade; Lobster Cake with sweet peppers, spinach, truffle brown butter sauce; and Milk Chocolate Creme Fraiche Semifreddo with cinnamon croutons, peanuts. The menu is priced at $45 per person with an optional $23 wine pairing. For more information visit www.bldrestaurant.com, @BLDBeverly and on FB/BLDLA.
Check out Kasey’s Kitchen all week for full menus, giveaways from Sip Happy and even more Valentine’s Day tips.