This was by far my favorite thing at the Governors Ball Preview! I may or may not have hunted down the woman who was serving them... Don't judge! Try them for yourself and you'll understand.
4 ounces diced #1 sushi grade tuna
1 tablespoon diced pickled ginger
1 teaspoon chopped scallions
1 tablespoon soy sauce/wasabi mixture
2 tablespoons spicy chili mayonnaise
4 ounces butter
1 cup corn syrup
1/8 cup miso paste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon powdered ginger
1/2 cup sesame seeds (1/4 black, 1/4 white)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter together with the corn syrup. Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in miso paste and sesame oil.
- Sift the flour, continuously stirring. Add the ginger and sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven on Silpats in 1 tablespoon portions for 10 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the baking sheets and form into miniature cones.
- Mix together left over ingredients. Place in plastic pastry bag.
- Place cones (about 20) in cone holder. Place 2 daikon sprouts in each cone while piping in the tartare mixture.
- Top with masago roe, julienne bonito flake and chopped pickled ginger.
Soy Sauce/Wasabi Mixture is made with 1/3 cup wasabi paste and 1 cup Japanese soy sauce. First, mix the wasabi paste with a little water, then mix with soy sauce. Be sure to shake or mix before every use. Spicy Chili Mayonnaise is made with 1 cup of good quality prepared mayonnaise, 1/3 cup plus 1/4 tablespoon of chili sauce siaracha, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil all mixed together.
See my interview with Chef Wolfgang Puck!
Recipe Courtesy of Wolfgang Puck