Wednesday, October 10, 2012

No-Time Gnocchi and Garlic Tomato Sauce with Veggies

The other night I was inspired by all the fresh produce I had delivered from Luci Organics (<---- Click for more details, they are amazing!) and I knew I wanted to make something full of veggies! BUT, I needed a little more bulk. I had some mashed potatoes left over in the fridge from The Mr.'s birthday dinner so that's when it hit me... Gnocchi! I did a little digging and figured out all you need is flour, an egg and potatoes. I was in business!
By the way, this recipe will be a 2 part-er We'll start with the Gnocchi and then I'll tell you about the sauce!

No-Time Gnocchi

What You Need:
2 Cups of Flour
1 egg
2 Potatoes (Mashed)

What You Do:

Bring a large pot to a boil and add salt to the water.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients until you form a dough. If you find that it is too dry and crumbly then wet your hands and continue kneading the dough. Repeat the wet hands thing if necessary.

Roll out your dough into long snake pieces and cut them into 1/2 inch pillows. No, you don't need a ruler, just eye-ball it.

Drop the dough pillows into the boiling water. When they rise back up to the top, they are done. (About 5 minutes, no more) Pull them out with a straining tool of some sort and set aside until you're ready to use. 

*KK Extra - Swap out the mashed potato with my Butternut Squash Puree and OMG! Delish with my Moscato Cream Sauce... that recipe will be coming soon for sure! 

Garlic Tomato Sauce with Veggies

What You Need:
1 carton of grape/cherry tomatoes
6-8 pieces of peels garlic
1 carrot
olive oil
sea salt
assorted veggies (I used the following: Spinach, Eggplant, Zucchini, Roasted Red Peppers, Onion)

What You Do:
In a large pan (with a lid), heat enough olive oil to cover the surface of the pan. 

Once the oil has heated add in the carton of tomatoes, garlic and a few shakes of sea salt. Give the pan a shake to make sure everything is coated. Put a lid on it and turn the heat down to low. 

Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have popped and the garlic is tender. Grate in the carrot and let cook another 5 minutes. 

Put the hot mixture into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. 

In the same pot you already used, add a little bit more olive oil and saute the rest of your vegetables. If you're using onions, start with those first. It helps build the flavor. Add in your tomato sauce to the veggies, give it a few stirs and then top off your gnocchi or any other yummy pasta dish you'd like! 

*KK Extra - Add in some crushed red pepper for an extra kick! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!