Thursday, October 4, 2012

Guilt-Free Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Photo: Cauliflower crust in progress!I have recently received an overwhelming amount of support towards Kasey's Kitchen, and I can't thank everyone enough! It has been fueling me to come up with more and more recipes to share with you all. This is turn strikes me with a bit of a dilemma... my love for food keeps getting in the way of my skinny jeans! Not saying that my Lettuce Wraps aren't figure friendly, but with pies, cookies and pasta surrounding me, I thought it was time to try a healthy alternative to pizza. So without further ado, here is the recipe for Cauliflower Crust Pizza!

What You Need:
1 head of cauliflower
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c Parmesan cheese (the shaker kind)
1 egg
garlic salt to taste
olive oil

For topping:
Tomato Sauce
More mozzarella cheese
Whatever other toppings you would like - I used eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and onions.

What You Do:
Preheat oven to 400. 
Remove all the leaves and stem from the cauliflower. Cut it up into chunks and place in a microwave safe container with a lid on it. Make sure the lid isn't on too tight! Microwave for 8 minutes. You don't have to add any water, it will steam on its own. 

Let the cauliflower cool off for a bit until you can touch it.
8 minutes in the microwave is a long time, it WILL be hot! Place it into a food processor or food chopper and pulse until it looks "minced". 

In a large mixing bowl, combine minced cauliflower, egg, cheeses and garlic salt and stir together. Then press it down on a cookie sheet with your hands. A pizza stone would be best, but if you're like me, you gotta work with what you got. 

Brush with olive oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Make sure the center of the "dough" gets golden, it will help in the end. 

Once it's all golden and such, add on your toppings. Sauce, toppings then cheese is how I roll. The cheese on top helps everything stay together and it gets the yummy golden brown crust! YUM!

Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until your cheese and edges of the crust have browned. Remove, let cool a bit, slice and enjoy.... guilt free!

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!