Thursday, April 9, 2015

Mini Key Lime Pies with Coconut Crust

Mini Key Lime Pie

A few weeks ago while I was in Florida visiting my husband's family, I had stumbled across a bottle of fresh Floridian Key Lime juice. Having a strong love for anything Key Lime and a fresh boost of confidence thanks to what I learned at the FBF Conference I decided that this little green bottle was coming back to California with me. 

Now, many of you know... I'm not much of a baker, I'm more of a faker. Meaning I can fake-bake my way into a delicious dessert whenever needed but it's not my strong point. With that in mind, I sought out for some inspiration via Pinterest and ended up finding a straight forward Key Lime Pie recipe that I knew I could doctor up to make it my own! 



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, crushed (about 12 squares)
  • 1/2 shredded coconut
  • 3 T Sugar
  • 3/4 stick butter (about 1/3 cup)
  • 3 egg whites, beaten
  • 2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
  • 3/4 cup key lime juice
  • 1 T Lime zest
  • 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla work great!)
Instructions:
1. Crush the graham cracker squares in a food processor or chopper adding in the coconut once the crackers have turned to crumbs. 
2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, add sugar and butter, and mix into the crushed graham cracker.
3. Press 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a cupcake liner. Push the mixture down with your fingers to fully cover the bottom of the liner.  
4. Bake the mini crusts at 350 degrees for 8 minutes so that it can harden. 
5.  In a separate bowl, mix together egg whites, condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and Greek yogurt. I used an electric hand mixer and the consistency was great!
6.  Fill the cupcakes about 3/4 of the way full with the mixture.   Bake for 12-15 minutes and cool in the refrigerator until ready to serve. 
7.  Top with fresh whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes and a little lime zest right before serving.   

Mini Key Lime Pie


Mini Key Lime Pie

Recipe inspired by The Recipe Critic 

Recipe originally posted on 7/8/13

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!