Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Opposite Salad

So you may be asking yourself, what on earth is "Opposite Salad"? Candy?? 

No no, this is a new flavor sensation that seems to keep popping up everywhere. Grilled Romaine! 

I first had this dish at my best friend's wedding this part summer. Not going to lie, when I saw it I thought to myself, "Lettuce? On the Grill?" In one bite I wanted to slap myself for ever doubting it. It's amazing!

So last night when I got home from the 9-5, I realized I had very little in the fridge and since I knew the hubby had hockey, I could experiment! So here's what I came up with.

What You Need:

1 Head of Romaine 
1 Small Eggplant
1 String Cheese (that's right)

For Dressing:
Balsamic Vinegar
Agave
Olive Oil
Garlic Salt

What You Do:

Cut the romaine in half, the long way and brush with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Do the same with the eggplant, but cut in thick slices.

Place the eggplant and romaine (face down) on a grill or panini press (grill totally works better) until you get good grill marks and the eggplant begins to soften.

Sprinkle the eggplant with mozzarella cheese (or in my case, string cheese) and let that melt down. Throw it in the broiler for a browning effect. 

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil and a squirt of agave. Sprinkle in a little garlic salt and whisk together with a fork. Drizzle that over the veggies when you plate it and Voila! 

Feel free to grill up some other veggies to go with this too! Zucchini, mushrooms, peppers... yum! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!