Friday, August 10, 2012

Italian Vegetable Ragu

So last night I was making dinner for myself and since the hubby was out, I knew I could load up on the vegetables! For those of you who don't know, my husband will not eat a SINGLE vegetable. It's sad really.

Anyway, I had just stocked up on fresh produce from Elat (cheapest produce ever) and I decided to whip up a ragu. That's a fancy word for thick/chunky sauce, it's usually meat-based, but I went all out veg on this one. The combination of sweet, savory and tangy throw your tastebuds for a loop and good luck putting down that fork!

Here's what you need:

1 Small Eggplant
1 Green Zucchini
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 Can of Stewed Tomatoes
Handful of Fresh Greenbeans
Ketchup
Balsamic Vinegar (obviously)
Agave Nectar
Water
Olive Oil


Here's what you do:

Heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan.

Slice all your vegetables into long strips (cut in half if you need to) and add to pan. Add the onions first, it will help flavor the oil.

Add the can of stewed tomatoes including all the juices. Save the can though.

Fill the can half way with water, then add 2 tbsp of balsamic, 2 tbsp of ketchup and 1 tbsp of agave. Whish it together in the can with a fork. Using the can gets all the juices left in there, plus one less dish to clean!

Add the mixture to the pan and cover for 10 minutes on low heat or until you see the vegetables have softened.
Cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes to allow the liquids to thicken. Add garlic salt and black pepper to taste.

You can serve this over pasta, with chicken or swordfish.

You'll have plenty for 4 people. And if you have leftovers, it tastes amazing the next day once it's set too!

Let me know if you try this out by leaving a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!