Friday, August 30, 2013

The 5 Things I Learned from Katherine & Sophie of Georgetown Cupcakes



As some of you may know, when it comes to baking, I'm kind of a dud. There's just something about all that time...and measuring...and "not being able to taste the batter"... I go crazy just thinking about it! 
Now, I have the philosophy that if you want to know how to do something, ask! So who better to ask than Katherine and Sophie of Georgetown Cupcake! The DC Cupcakes stars were sweet enough to invite me into their LA location for a private baking session! 
We caught the whole thing on tape and that will be coming to you soon, but while the video is cooking, I wanted to share with you The 5 Things I Learned from Katherine & Sophie of Georgetown Cupcake!


1. Use Quality Ingredients
The girls use the highest quality of ingredients in their cupcakes and you can tell! Most importantly, they use European style butter which they told me make all the difference! You can find it at some high-end grocery stores or even Whole Foods!

2. Turn Your Whisk Into a Sifter
If you don't have a sifter on hand for your flour or powdered sugar, get a large whisk and give it a few spins. This helps to break up clumps and fluff it up!

3. When It Comes To Frosting: Whip It and Whip It Good!
For those of you who have had Georgetown Cupcake, you know that their frosting is unlike any other...for those of you who haven't tried them, get on it, like, NOW! 
I learned that the key to that insanely fluffy frosting is whipping it on high in a mixer for a good 5-8 minutes until it looks like marshmallow.

4. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!
Yeah, this is where I suffer, but Katherine explained to me the importance of alternating wet and dry ingredients and how much it impacts the batter. That's the key to keeping it light, fluffy, and insanely moist.

5. Be Flexible
Things don't always turn out how you imagined, whether it's a simple cupcake or creating a cupcake empire! Sophie told me that they learned to become flexible with everything from custom orders, shop design, and even when coming up with new flavors! You just have to go with it and carry on!
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/565011_10151694813117605_480564579_n.jpg
Photo Courtesy of Georgetown Cupcake




143 S Robertson Blvd, Central LA, CA ‎
(310) 893-2866 · georgetowncupcake.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!