Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Love/Hate Relationship with Food Photography

It's no secret that if you want to be a good food blogger, you have to double as a food photographer and stylist. To some this comes naturally (especially if you live in a place with lots of natural light) however for other (ehm, me) you have to work on it. Oh, and the fact that my dad is a professional photographer is nothing short of ironic in this matter too.

A few months ago, in my quest to become a better food blogger, I stumbled upon Lindsay from Pinch of Yum. After reading through some of the awesome photography tips on her blog, I knew I wanted to reach out to her and learn more! Lucky for me, Lindsay is a sweetheart! We chatted via email and she was gracious enough to send me a copy of her eBook (which you can purchase here).

Here are a few tips from her blog and book that have totally changed my life (as a food blogger at least) from Pinch of Yum:

Tip #1: Fake it 'til you make it. As I've mentioned before, I'm hardly ever home in time to catch the natural light that hits the ONE window in my kitchen, so seeing this tip was exactly what I needed. I got myself a little table top light kit (still waiting to invest in one of these guys
 ), a few pieces of white cardboard (fyi, save those pieces that come in your pantyhose packages!) and some fun placemats/tiles. Game. Changer. Click the photo below to learn more from Lindsay. 

Tips for Food Photograph Lighting Indoors



Tip #2: Work with what ya got! Lindsay talks about some awesome resources that can used for food photos and chances are, you already have them in your kitchen! Finally, I don't have to be ashamed of my tarnished up cookie sheets!

Household Items for Food Photography

Tip #3: Just buy the book. Sure there are a number of resources out there for food photography but I really enjoy the conversational way that Lindsay explains everything. Plus the side-by-side comparisons are super helpful. Oh, and the photos are drool-inducing.

Tasty Food Photography


*I want to thank Lindsay for generously gifting me her eBook as it has totally helped elevate my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!