Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Toasted Coconut Shortbread Cookies


Over the long weekend I had been bitten by the baking bug! Now, this is something quite out of the ordinary as I've always said "I'm not a baker" but something came over me and all I wanted to do was whip up delights with flour, sugar and butter! 
Since I'm not a "super sweet" person (palate, not personality) I decided that shortbread cookies were the way to go! I wanted the buttery taste with a hint of salt. I also wanted to figure out a way to include my latest addiction, Dang Toasted Coconut Chips. So, here's what I came up with. Oh, and did I mention the cookies themselves are made with only 4 ingredients! 

Ingredients
2 1/4 c flour, sifted
1 stick of butter, room temp
1/2 white sugar
1 tsp sea salt


Topping:
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp water
toasted coconut chips

Preparation

Combine butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Use a stand mixer to make this easier.

Slowly mix in sifted flour and salt. The mixture will get very crumbly, keep mixing a bit more and right before you're about it give up, it will get to the dough consistency. Be sure to scrape the edges of the bowl too! This will insure you have all ingredients mixed evenly. 

Form the dough into a log and place on wax paper. I flattened my edges to make it a bit square but you can keep it round. Roll the dough in wax paper and freeze for 30 minutes. 

At this time, preheat oven to 300. 

Slice the cookies about 1/4 inch thick and place a cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Once cookies have cooled. Combine powdered sugar and water in a small bowl. Brush the liquid mixture on each cookie and sprinkle with toasted coconut. This liquid helps the coconut stay on and also helps the cookies stay moist! 

Enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!